Saturday, March 19, 2011

Quaan Califia's Magical Circle

After volunteering at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park in Escondido, another volunteer mentioned going to a nearby "sculpture park" she had heard about, done by a LaJolla artist.  Because it was on the way home, how could I resist?   I'm so glad I stopped to see this.  Here's the link to an incredible sculpture garden

http://www.queencalifia.org/   The artist, Niki DeSaint Phalle, has pieces also in Balboa Park, and all over the world.

It was fun to be there, surrounded by these colorful,  huge pieces.  A touchable sculpture park.    If you look at the second one, you'll see a little girl under the sculpture (on the left hand side) -- this will give you an idea of scale.

Entrance to park
Look for little girl under this creature.   

2 comments:

Carol said...

Wow! It was really good to have the child for perspective in the second photo. I never would have guessed it was that large. What an exciting find for you. I will look forward to going there myself, someday. Love the colors.

Judy said...

Thanks for your comments, Carol. I'll have to post a close-up of the work. It's amazing what one can create with a "few" stones, broken tiles, mirrors, etc. And a few years!