Thursday, October 13, 2011

Whale watching in San Diego

This past Monday my friend Terry & I went out on a whale-watching excursion.  The boat left Mission Bay docks around 9:00 AM and headed out in to the fog.  Breakfast  was served as we were underway.  There have been sightings of blue whales in Southern California and we were hopeful -- and not disappointed.



 The first mammals we saw were the Risso's dolphins.  According to the naturalist on board, these are usually shy dolphins, but they were feeding on krill and we  just hung out to watch, and they didn't seem to be worried at all.

One of the crew members was really excited to see a baby along with the mother.   He hadn't seen that before.  




We were also lucky enough to spot two  blue whales.   Again, there was a lot of krill in the area and they were feeding.  The naturalist said the krill was not deep, so the whales didn't have to dive very deep to feed.    We saw them as we motored out to the Coronado Islands in Baja, and again, as we motored back to Mission Bay.




I feel very lucky to have these shots  because when I first downloaded them to my computer and started viewing them, I felt most of my whale shots looked more like a submarine shots  ;-)      So glad I took a second look.

It was a terrific day on the water and we were back on the dock around 5 pm.    


2 comments:

Carol Leigh said...

Hey Judy, nice submarine shots! Heh, heh ...

Judy said...

;-) Glad you like them ...